Tuesday, August 25, 2015

DnD - Miniatures (Cheap Dragon Figurines)

My friend has been running a campaign where Dragonborn is trying to create a city for their race, as well as dragons. Our PC's are working for them to do things like clearing lands, assisting the Dragonborn King in political espionage, spying, etc. And so far our Paragon PCs have found 4 dragons. We have been using Legos for the dragon mini's which just don't seem menacing, so I had been searching for a dragon figurine. 

Going on eBay I saw that Dragon's of Huge size are selling for $40 and up, which is way over what I wanted to spend. So I decided to give up on the idea of getting one. 

Then last weekend I was at my local Michaels Arts & Craft Shop with my wife and two kids, who were doing some pumpkin decorating. As I wandered around with my youngest, waiting for them to finish I found some 6" tall plastic knights with horses. Eh, way too big for D&D, and they didn't even look good enough to be giants.  Then on the next shelf, I found them...Red Dragons, in a pose almost exactly like that in the 2nd edition Monster Manual. Rooting through the box a bit more revealed a Green Dragon that was a little bigger than the Red.



I immediately broke out my iPhone and pulled up a ruler app. The claws would fit perfectly onto a 3" diameter. Just the right size for a huge size base. Each dragon was only 50¢, so it was a good price as well.  I ran around the store searching for something I could use as a base, or for materials to make a base. After a long search, I found 3" diameter wooden disks, probably useful in making doll tables or something, but they were a perfect size. So I grabbed a pack of them, which contained 6 bases, as well as two dragons. When I got home I painted the bases using green spray paint I had from making gaming terrain. then after some drying time, I super glued each dragon to a base and Viola! cheap awesome Dragon Figures.


No comments:

Post a Comment